We've already posted some ideas for poetry-themed classroom activities, but just in case you're looking for a few new poetry books to read with your class, here's another list from Amy Carr -- a former fifth and sixth grade teacher who loves bringing poetry to life for children of all ages. Her list of best poetry books for pre-K to sixth grade students is sure to get you excited about reading your favorite poems with the whole class.
For pre-K through first graders:
- Rhyming Dust Bunnies by Jan Thomas
- Read-Aloud Rhymes for the Very Young by Jack Prelutsky
- Take Me Out of the Bathtub and Other Silly Dilly Songs by Alan Katz
For second and third graders:
- The Dragons Are Singing Tonight by Jack Prelutsky
- Flicker Flash by Joan Bransfield Graham
- Winter: An Alphabet Acrostic by Steven Schnur and Leslie Evans
- Sweet Corn by James Stevenson
For fourth through sixth graders:
- Button Up!: Wrinkled Rhymes by Alice Schertle
- Dinothesaurus: Prehistoric Poems and Paintings by Douglas Florian
- Partly Cloudy: Poems of Love and Longing by Gary Soto
- A Whiff of Pine, a Hint of Skunk: A Forest of Poems by Deborah Ruddel
We hope you’ll use these wonderful books to bring poetry into your classroom this month and all year long.