The latest 14.3 release is jam-packed with powerful new content in three activity suites. The new activities teach core concepts about syllables and contractions, increase depth of knowledge, and develop critical reasoning skills.
The Points and Reasons Suite helps students develop critical reasoning skills and prepare for testing.
- Points and Reasons uses peer modeling in a real-world situation to teach students how to identify, create, and support a claim.
- Light it Up allows students to practice reasoning skills as they select the best point to support a claim.
- Prove the Point asks students to read a passage, identify the main point, and think about the quality of suggested reasons to select the best point to support the claim.
- Syllable Fun encourages students to participate in a demonstrated method for counting syllables.
- Syllable Count asks students to listen to specific words and select how many syllables each word has.
- Syllable Drop prompts students to use syllable count to sort words into the categories on one, two, or three syllables.
The Contraction Suite teaches students how to identify, read, and form, contractions.
- Contraction Action demonstrates how to combine two words to make a contraction by deleting one of more letters and adding an apostrophe.
- Contraction Creation asks students to form a contraction from two words by placing letters and an apostrophe into the appropriate spaces.
We also recently added Application Station where students are asked to read a story or article and then demonstrate comprehension by writing a constructed response. This activity requires a deeper level of thinking as students need to articulate their understanding rather than choose from pre-determined responses. It also helps students build familiarity with responding to the writing sections on state and national tests. Teachers can easily access student writings and subsequently extend learning by using them during one-on-one instruction, peer workshops, or student conferences. To see more about the new release, watch the latest video.