At Imagine Learning, an instructional designer is responsible for the overall design of each activity in the product and how each lesson or activity integrates into the larger curriculum architecture of the full array of curriculum offerings. Designers also collaborate in the creation of assessments, meaningful distractors that focus on common errors, and the scoring and reporting to accompany the curriculum. They research and evaluate pedagogical approaches to teaching skills that will be appropriately aligned with benchmark standards and best teaching practices. All activities must be engaging, motivating, appropriate, and relevant to students while meeting or extending current state and CCSS standards and successfully teaching new information or measurably improving skill levels. This requires not only subject matter expertise and experience, but also classroom teaching experience, familiarity with current educational technologies, a knowledge of sound pedagogical practices, and a commitment to culturally responsive curriculum.
Designers must work independently as well as collaboratively with other designers and with activity development teams. Designers coordinate and work with all production teams at Imagine Learning including: curriculum specialists, game design, video, audio, art, programming, writing, product marketing and delivery. Additionally, the designer is responsible for the writing of instructional content and the supervision of freelance writers and editors. Instructional designers must have excellent writing skills, the ability to apply standards in developmentally appropriate ways that are engaging to students and teachers, and be adaptable and open to peer feedback.
- Bachelor’s degree in Education, Master’s preferred
- Experience in teaching mathematics to primary, elementary, and/or middle grades children. Knowledge and experience in the particular needs of ELLs, students with special needs, and students in need of intervention is a plus.
- Experience designing math curriculum in an educational technology company
- Experience as a math curriculum specialist in a school district strongly preferred
- Ability to use PowerPoint, Excel, content authoring tools, math tools (such as Geogebra, MathML, MathType) and other authoring tools
- Effective communication and presentation skills