How To Make Multiplication Tables Fun
Learning multiplication tables can be a challenge for children who struggle to grasp these concepts quickly.
Kids are more likely to pick up math-fact skills by playing games that test their knowledge rather than by simply doing math homework.
Here are 5 fun ways to help kids memorize times tables:
1.Play Bottle Cap Multiplication
- Write the times table equation on the top of a bottle cap and write the answer on the inside of the cap.
- Once the child answers the question correctly he or she can turn the bottle cap over.
- Time your child and see how quickly they can flip all the caps over! (Alternately, see how many caps they can flip over within an allotted time).
2. Sing The Multiplication Tables
Memorizing song lyrics can be an easy way to learn multiplication facts.
- Start by going online! It's easy to find a variety of free multiplication song videos for your child to listen to and memorize.
- If those songs aren’t catchy enough for you, try making up your own song or fitting the multiplication tables to the tune of your child's favorite song.
3. Make Flashcards Using Your Favorite Theme
Flashcards are always a helpful trick for memorizing multiplication times tables. But boring flashcards are old news. Print off or draw your own flashcards with your child's favorite theme, like Frozen or Star Wars.
Learning is always more fun with a friendly face on the flashcard.
4. Create a Reward System
Prizes will always gain a child’s attention.
Try giving small rewards for every set of multiplication facts that a child learns.
You don't always need to choose sweets; the prize can be something as simple as extra TV time or more time playing with friends.
5. Play Timez Attack Video Game
Let’s be real here--video games and television will always interest the current generation!
Why not encourage your school district to use Imagine Math Facts as a fun, effective math-facts program?
In particular, Timez Attack is a high-end, math-packed video game sure to entertain children for hours, and it even ensures mastery of their times tables while they play.